The Telephone Box A-Z of Facts
Aluminium - the material used experimentally, and unsuccessfully for the K7. The finish of the K7 quickly became discoloured in the British climate.
Bromsgove - the location of the National Telephone Kiosk Collection at the Avoncroft Museum of Historic Buildings in the Worcestershire town.
Concrete - used to construct the K1, K3 and K5 kiosks; concrete was relatively cost-efficient but more susceptible to damage in transit.
Dome - the roof of the Gilbert-Scott kiosks featured a characteristic domed roof, said to be inspired by the tomb of architect Sir John Soane.
Eighteen - the number of panes of glass on one side of a K2; fifty four were used in total. The K6 kiosk had seventy-two pieces in total.
Fifty - the number of K4 'Post Office' kiosks produced compared to a total of 60,000 K6 kiosks produced, proving the K4 experiment was a failure.
Gilbert-Scott - the designer of the K2, K3 and K6 was British architect Sir Giles Gilbert-Scott (born November 9th 1880, died February 8th 1960).
Hull - the only part of Britain with an independent telephone company, the company installed white, crown-less Gilbert-Scott K6 kiosks.
Iron - cast iron was used to manufacture the K2, K4 and K6. Cast-iron kiosks were more expensive to produce than concrete kioks.
Jubliee - To commemorate the Silver Jubilee of King George V in 1935 the Post Office commissioned the design of K6 by Gilbert-Scott.
Kiosk - The technical name for a Telephone 'Box' is a 'Kiosk'. This was abbreviated to 'K' for model designations and was used for all kiosks designed under Post Office ownership.
Liverpool - Gilbert-Scott's finest achievement is Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral built from 1903, consecrated in 1924 and finally finished in 1980.
Martin - Bruce Martin designed the K8 kiosk. His remarkable design consisted of just 183 parts compared to 450 pieces for the K6.
Nine - Tke K2 kiosk was nine feet, three inches (approx. 280cm) in height. This compares with a height of 8ft 3in (approx .250cm) for the K6.
One - the first national telephone kiosk was designated Kiosk No 1, or K1. There were three versions of the K1, the Mk234, 235 and 236.
Piccadilly - The wooden prototype of Gilbert-Scott's winning kiosk design survives in Burlington House on Piccadilly in central London.
Queen - two K6 kiosks were transported 14,559 miles aboard the Cunard Queen Mary sailing from Southampton, around Cape Horn to Long Beach.
Red - kiosks were painted British Standard BS381C red 538 until the K8 kiosk when BS381C red 539 was subsequently adopted.
Silver - the exterior colour originally proposed by Gilbert-Scott, complimented with a blue-green interior. The Post Office choose red.
Twelve - the number of surviving, functioning K8 kiosks out of 11,000 produced; none (by 2008) have been afforded protection by statutory listing.
Unmistakable - the red Telephone Box is an icon of Britain; London tourists can buy K6 money boxes, key-rings, postcards and trinkets.
Vermillion - the 1927 K4 kiosk, designed by Post Office engineers, was unfavourably nick-named the Vermillion Giant due to its size.
Westminster - the first K8 telephone kiosk was installed on Friday 12th July 1968 in Westminster's Old Palace Yard in the City of London.
X - the K-suffix used to denote post-privatisation kiosk models, KX100 onwards, introduced by the Post Office's successor, British Telecom.
Yellow - one of the alternative colours (also battleship grey, light-grey, green) for Scott's kiosks, often used in Crown dependencies and rural locations.
Zoo - A rather unlikely place to find a rare K3 telephone kiosk is the safety of London Zoo's Parrot House.